Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Update....

Dad started radiation yesterday. They were only able to start the radiation on the tumor in the base of his skull. Dad said the table was too wide & in the way of where the radiation needed to reach to get to the mass on his side. As far as I know they were going to work on fixing that & do both treatments today. I have't been able to get ahold of them yet today so I will upate when I know more.
As far as the confusion with the doctors & what is best for him...the cancer doctor told my parents that the radiation needs to be done on his skull because if the tumor grows it would hit his carotid artery & would most likely cause death. The tumor on the base of his skull is small right now, only 2mm but they can see that it has destroyed a few small areas of bone. So radiation is set for the next 8 weeks, 5 days a week. There are side effects like hair loss on the treated area, reddening of skin on the treated spot, fatigue, headaches, & nausea/vomiting.
I did talk to my sister Kim today & she has talked with my parents. She said Dad is feeling tired & having a hard day today...so they are just gonna take it easy.
When I spoke to my dad last night he did tell me a funny story that he said I could post....He found $40.00 yesterday & thought he was rich!!! So...he decided he needed a little something to help him feel better...he spent a few dollars of it on Beto's Mexican Food! He told me sometimes the foods he loves is what helps keep him alive! :) Later, he realized that $40.00 was from Paul (his youngest son) & Elysia (Paul's wife) for my Dad & Cathy to go out to dinner on their anniversary which is tomorrow! Sorry Paul & Elysia....Dad really needed his Beto's!! :) No worries though...we are making sure they will have an Anniversary to remember!
*If you have pictures/comments/stories to share, please email me at jiggyjaydub@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment