Sunday, November 28, 2010

The time has come.....

This morning we lost our father, husband, grandfather, fishing buddy, & best friend.......
Osmyn Merritt Williams, Jr
May 7, 1942-November 28, 2010
Oh what a night......the last 24 hours was a little bit of a difficult journey....until the end. He laid in his bed, sleeping. The gurgling noises became louder, the breathing farther apart & every time he took a deep breath...we were waiting for it to be his last. Oz just wasn't ready to give up yet. He was such a strong man. Hours & hours & more hours passed. Eventually family members started leaving during the wee hours of the morning. I headed off to bed at about 5:00 am because emotionally & physically I just couldn't do it anymore. Kim & Heather stayed by Dad all night long. I woke up at 8:00 am & went back into his bedroom. His breathing patterns had changed a little bit over time.
I sat with Dad and read him every word from this blog. Before I started reading he seemed to be getting restless & the breathing became like a very loud sigh. After I read the blog he became more relaxed. I know he heard the words from all of us & realized what a wonderful life he has lived!
Oz was supposed to speak to his ward this morning at 9:00 am. He never made it. But I believe he didn't need to make it because he had a better calling & speech to give on the other side. We didn't need to hear those words because we already know what a strong & faithful member of the gospel that he is. He lived by example & showed faith in all things. Cathy turned on a church service of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir that plays on TV Sunday mornings. I think that music relaxed Dad. It seemed from about 9-10 o'clock Dad was trying to become more alert & open his eyes & even sometimes made some sort of reaction to questions we asked him. We all wondered what this meant....but prayed in our hearts that he would be taken from this life & free from the pain & suffering he has endured.
All morning long had been a big snow storm. Some of us siblings had even mentioned how Jared should not be driving Dad's car to Spanish Fork because the tires on it are old & it is not good in the snow. Sometime around 10:30-10:45 am Jared came into the room. Kim, Cathy & I were still sitting with Dad. Jared said to Dad, "Dad, I have to take my kids to Spanish Fork & drop them off to their mom. I will be back in a little while Dad. I only have to go to Spanish Fork this time though...not all the way to Blanding. I will see you in  a little while." Dad opened his eyes & looked right at Jared. We all were amazed at this since we had not seen those eyes in over 24 hours. Jared said, "Hi Dad. It's ok." Kim said, "Do you see Jared Dad?" Jared sat down in a chair to call his ex-wife to tell her that he was running late. Kim looked at Dad & said, "Hi Dad." Dad looked past Kim, had a look of excitement in his eyes & looked like he mouthed the word "Hi." Kim said, "Jenny, get over here! He can see us!" I started to walk over to Dad & I looked at his chest...as I had spent many hours doing all night long. I noticed it wasn't moving anymore like it had been. I said, "Kim! Cathy! His chest isn't moving anymore!!" I grabbed Dad's hand.....he took one large breath in....Cathy rushed over to his side by me...Kim yelled for the other kids to come....Dad took one more breath...kinda scrunched his shoulders up a little bit & peacefully left this life. What a sad but wonderful experience all at the same time.
About 15 minutes before Dad passed away, Cathy had called the hospice nurse because we were worried about his reactions & how it seemed like he was trying to come out of this comatose state. Just as Dad was taking his last breath, the hospice nurse rang the doorbell! She got there at just the right time.
After we spent a few minutes with him, the hospice nurse, Cathy & Paul changed Dad into an outfit so he could be taken to the mortuary. Cathy chose THE PERFECT outfit. Dad looked so handsome! Earlier this week Scott (Kim's husband who coaches football for Timpview High School in Provo, Utah) brought Dad a coaches warm up outfit that has the Timpview logo on the left corner of the chest. When Dad saw it he commented on how warm it felt & he was so excited to wear it sometime! Scott told Dad that he could wear it on the sidelines at next years games. Dad never had a chance to put that outfit on before he passed away. But we know that our Dad will there by Scott in spirit & cheering Timpview on to victory! Dad looked so peaceful. We all gathered around him for about 4 hours before the mortuary workers came. We laughed, we cried, we talked about our Daddy. I asked John to say a family prayer about 10 minutes before they came to take his body away. It was a beautiful prayer. Although we know our Dad is in a better & happier place....how sad it was to know that his body will no longer be in that house anymore. That we won't be able to pick up the phone & hear his voice. That we will no longer walk in his room & see him sitting in his chair watching some sort of CSI or crime investigation shows on TV. :) That we will no longer taste the amazing food he would cook....or the yummy Christmas breakfasts. We will no longer be able to turn to our Dad who was always a worthy, honorable priesthood holder & ask him for a father's blessing & feel his strong hands on our head. I know these memories will last forever! How grateful I am for a Heavenly Father who allows us to never forget our loved ones. We know the next few days...weeks...months...years there will be hard times...but we know the peace that comes from this gospel. Thank you Dad for always being an OUTSTANDING, HONORABLE member of the gospel. Thank you for the fun times & memories we will always hold near to our hearts! We know that your reunion with Mom was dear & special.....& we look forward to the day we will all be together again.
Funeral arrangements are being made tomorrow. We know the viewing will be held at Russon Brothers Mortuary in Farmington, Utah. As for times & dates....I will let you know. Thank you again to all of you for the love, support & prayers on behalf our Dad & our family.

3 comments:

  1. I think there are a lot of tears being shed over the passing of your dad and this touch post - such a great man. I wish we could attend the funeral, but we will keep praying for your family's comfort, peace, and reassurance that all is well. We love the Williams Family and we love Bishop Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of your family at this time Jenny.


    I am the wind
    I am the rain
    I am the sunlight
    through your window pane

    I am the leaf
    turning brown in the fall
    I am the faintest whisper
    on the breeze when you call
    I am the snowflake
    that kisses your cheek

    I am the child in the park
    playing hide 'n' go seek
    I'm the scent of the flowers
    that fills the spring air

    I'm all around you
    I'm every where
    I'll always be with you
    from this moment on
    In your every dance
    your every song

    You see when we move on
    we never truly die
    We become one with nature
    we unify

    Take care my precious one
    on my passing don't dwell
    Remember the love
    we shared together
    See you again someday,
    All is well

    www.messagesofsympathy.com

    ReplyDelete