Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Holy %*#$! Where's the tylenol?!!!!".....

:) for all you Chevy Chase, Christmas Vacation fans out there (as our family is...we watch it every year on Thanksgiving Day), I hope you all got a good laugh from the title of this post! :) For now we are trying to laugh rather than cry.
Yes it is really the time this post says it is. Most of us kids have been hanging out at Dad's house since about 6:00 pm this evening. Things have kind of taken a turn for the worse. By his own choice, Dad decided he wanted to come home from the hospital tonight. He is home but not doing so well.
The stages of death are definitely beginning to happen. Before Dad & Cathy left the hospital today the Hospice nurses had a talk with Cathy. They explained to her that after observing Dad today that he is showing definite signs that the cancer has spread into his brain. They also mentioned to her that most people they have seen at this stage are lucky if they make it two weeks. Yep....2 weeks. Only time will tell. 
A Hospice nurse stopped by the house tonight to bring some medications for him. She also spent about an hour talking with us kids & answering questions. She said every person is different & everyone goes at their own time. After the nurse left we kids were all still sitting around the table talking. We looked into Dad & Cathy's bedroom & this is what we saw......
 Dad & Cathy sleeping.....
Yes we all had to look...even the boys...& yes we cried too! If only we had a recliner big enough for both of them to fit in. That recliner is where he has been most comfortable. The minute he got home from the hospital that is where he sat & he actually had a good sleep for a few hours.
We were reading Dad the comments made on the blog by all of you wonderful friends. We asked him if he remembered each person before we would read who said what & he would nod his head yes &/or smile. I know he heard every word even if he didn't respond every time.  Thank you again to all of you for sharing your love & words with us! We know that the next few days or weeks or whatever time we have left are going to be rough but your words definitely help! We are truly grateful for our Dad & the wonderful person he is!
Even though the day & the hours here at home have been rough....Dad still has his sense of humor! Joe walked into Dad's room tonight to say goodbye to him. I said, "Dad, here's Joe." Dad opened his eyes & looked at Joe. Dad said, "You've gained some weight!" We all laughed. Then Dad closed his eyes for a few seconds. He opened them again, looked at Joe & said, "That's a horrible thing to have happen in your middle age." I said, "What's a horrible thing to have happen in your middle age Dad?" He said, "To lose all that beauty & gain the weight!" We all had a good laugh over that one!!!! :) (I still think you're pretty Joe! :])
The Hospice nurse compared the dying process to a roller coaster. Well...everybody buckle up...it's gonna be one heck of a ride!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Williams family,
    I'm not sure if you remeber me, but our family does remember all of you. Especially my dad Larry Hartzell. It was a coinsidence, about a month ago my dad and I had a conversation about Ozzie, he really wanted to know what happened to him and where he was at now. Then I was friended on facebook by Kim... I don't remember much because I was little in the 20th ward, but he always talks lovingly of Ozzie. You see my dad, has never been active in the church. Every sunday as we went to church with mom, my dad would start waxing the cars. We lived on Carey ave. and my dad called that street the "Mormon trail", everyone on their way to church would drive by honk and wave at my dad.
    I shared what I have found out about your family and father with my family this past Sunday. We are all truly sorry for the trials you are facing. It really hit my dad hard. You see my dad has had some instances where he has dealt with lds members and has been wronged. He does not forget that. But when I told him of your father, he told me about a time that he was waxing cars and Ozzie stopped. He handed my dad a container of car wax! HAHA My dad laughed and assumed it was to get him to go to church, but Ozzie never mentioned church...he was just his friend. Like I said my dad never forgot that and still to this day loves Ozzie for it,, as do I. I dont remember it, but it is a good memory for my dad about church that someone just wanted to be his friend. We still hope and pray that my dad will come back to church but thats up to him. I just want you to know that I appreciate your dad for his kindness to my dad, it is probably my dads best memory of anyone associated with the church. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time... Love always, Tonya Mallory and the Hartzell family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your family at this time may he have a peaceful transition.

    ReplyDelete