Friday, November 5, 2010

Short Update & a wonderful story....

Yesterday Oz felt well enough to go fishing with Jared (his 3rd oldest son)! Yeah!!! Fishing is one of Dad's favorite things to do & he is definitely good at it too!!!
The doctors are starting Radiation on Monday at 10:00 am. Keep him in your thoughts & prayers!!!
Thank you to those of you who have commented/checked out the blog! I received this awesome email from Ken Pifer today via my sister Kim (Oz's oldest daughter). Thank you for the wonderful words Ken! I know that it is stories like this that will keep my Dad with us for as long as the Lord allows!!! We love you dad!!!


"I am deeply saddened by the news of your Dad's health. Just a quick story for you to share with him if you would please.

I can remember back in the days in "Mo-Val", living on Reindeer St., struggling to find myself and in what direction I should steer my life. I was what you could say one that was really on the fence, I could go the worlds way rather easily or chose to go the Saviors path but had no clue on how to do that.

It was a cool December Saturday evening when 3 of my best friends (Dean and Jared Cannon and Andy Smith) were killed in a car accident on the way to a Stake Youth Dance in Riverside. The next day, Sunday morning, I sat in front of Bishop Oz and cried my eyes out, confused at how this could happen, expressing how unfair it was, and asking very simple yet deep questions to get some clarity surrounding the events of the night before. After a few moments of listening to me carry-on, scream, and express anger, he began to bear his witness of the plan of salvation and assured me that I would again, through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, see my buddies again. It was at that moment in time, sitting with your Dad, he changed my life forever. He asked me to visit all the wards that Sunday and deliver the message of the tragic events the night before. Choking on emotions and trying to stop the tears at the conclusion of every announcement that day, I kept repeating in my mind your Father's testimony. I did not have a testimony for myself of the Gospel at that time and it was his words that I grasped and held onto until the small seed very deep within me started to blossom and grow.

I treasure that memory with your Father very close to my heart. He changed my life and gently guided a wandering young man to turn his life around, to choose the Saviors path not the worlds and to start to develop and gain a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He ordained me a Priest and then an Elder and it was under his "watch" that I put mission papers in and got my call to go and serve.

While on my mission, with the help of countless members of the ward, another life was changed for the better. My father was baptized into the Church. I know that your Father had a hand in that process as well.

What a marvelous man he is, filled with compassion, love, charity, and a willingness to serve his Savior. He is still my favorite Bishop in the world!!!!"

-Ken Pifer

1 comment:

  1. That was a touching tribute to your dad by Ken. We were also in Moreno Valley and watched over by your dad who was our bishop. Brett and I were in the living nativity at the Ward Christmas party the night of that tragic accident that took the lives of three of our ward's young men. Brett and I played Joseph and Mary with our baby son Ben playing the baby Jesus. If I remember correctly, Dean, Jared, and Andy had been shepherds bowing before the baby Jesus just hours before their lives were taken in that accident. It was amazing how Bishop Williams took the part of the Good Shepherd as he comforted grieving families and ward members. He, along with your mom, inspired our ward to have more faith and strength than we thought we had before. Bishop Williams will always be a hero to us for so many reasons. I too am saddened to hear about his poor health. Please give him our love and many hugs from the Kearneys. We will pray for his strength and health.

    ReplyDelete