Monday, April 11, 2011

Anniversary......

Today marks the 47th wedding anniversary of my Mom & Dad....for the first time in 21 years they are spending this day together......what a happy thought!
In my Mom's journal she wrote......
 "April 11, 1964, our wedding day....it was kind of unique due to the fact that we had two weddings. You see, I had tried to prepare my mother for this day from the time I was a teenager & first learned about temple marriage. Now that the time had arrived, she was crushed to think that she would be unable to see her daughter be married, due to the fact that she and my dad were not members of the church.
 My first impulse was to say, 'Well, that's just too bad. You've had all kinds of opportunities to join the church & didn't.' But again, that thought was crowded by a calm feeling that said, 'Wait & be still.'
 I talked to Ozzie about the problem, who in turn checked with his Bishop. We discovered that with permission from the Prophet, President David O. McKay...we could have a chapel service Saturday, April, 11 at 9:00 AM, then immediately go to the Los Angeles temple to be sealed.
 If you have never experienced a temple marriage, you will not understand my feelings. The chapel service felt so incomplete compared to the temple ceremony....to have the temple president seal you as husband & wife for time & all eternity. This brings unspeakable joy to your soul!
 Oh, my dearest children, please settle for nothing less! Keep yourself pure & wholesome & always in tune with the promptings of the spirit so that you too may know that your mate had the approval of our Father in Heaven. And that you will be united for time & all eternity!
 We spent our Honeymoon in Carmel, California. A beautiful ocean front resort."

I wonder if my parents are spending the day together again in Carmel, California at that "beautiful ocean front resort"...........
Wherever they are...I am grateful for the knowledge that they are together again. I am grateful for a mother who was strong enough to accept the gospel despite her parents beliefs. I am grateful for a father who was born into the gospel & lived his life the way a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints should. How grateful I am for their decision to marry in the temple & to have 7 children...to raise us in the gospel & teach us by example the way that we should live to be an eternal family.
Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad! We love you & miss you both!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a treasure that journal must be. She sounds so spiritually mature even then. Thanks for sharing this. I am sure they are celebrating together.

    ReplyDelete