Thursday, December 9, 2010

How blessed we are.....

I know I still haven't posted a more detailed obituary than what was in the paper...I think a small part of that is because my brain has been so tired & hasn't fully comprehended that this has all happened. I know it has...but it's a little weird to talk about my Dad in the past tense. I have lived away from home for about eight years now & so I think the part of my brain that hasn't completely grasped the reality of this all yet is just thinking that he is still sitting at home in his recliner chair watching his favorite TV shows. 
I was reading through a recipe book the other day (a love of cooking that I acquired from my Dad...who was the best cook in the world! I still have some work to do :]) & as I was reading a question came to my mind, I thought, "Oh I can just call my Dad & ask him!" & then I remembered....oh wait....no I can't. It's a good thing I have been blessed with some brothers who inherited the cooking skills my Dad had & I can still call them with my questions! They are the second best cooks in the world!
One thing I have learned through this trial is all of the blessing that come to those who are experiencing grief & pain in this life. It was wonderful to see all of you who came to the viewing/funeral, who have sent cards & messages on facebook & through emails. How blessed I feel to be a part of the West Bountiful 9th ward....they stepped in without any complaint & without even knowing my Dad or the rest of my family & they supplied us with a yummy dinner at the church after the funeral services so that burden was taken off of our own shoulders! We didn't HAVE to have a luncheon but "funeral tradition" around here is to have one & my family is one that likes to eat & spend time together....after the week we had we all needed that time together. How thankful we are to all of you! For the flowers...the money...the hugs...the phone calls....the gifts. How blessed we are to be able to share this life with all of you! 
It's been a few days since I have checked my email....& even looked at this blog...I think last Friday when I posted about the address change was the last time I looked. As I was going through my emails today I came upon this sweet message.....   
"Hi to all of you. My name is Lanny Shea, I was a friend of your Mom and Dad's when you all lived on Broadway and we lived on Sandy Lane. Your father was our home teacher. He was so good to come all the time and to remember birthdays and other happy days in our lives. We spent time with your family on social occasions and just enjoyed the company of you and your fine and wonderful parents. The time I remember most was at an Elder's Quarom social "it was a sock hop" your mom and I had dressed the part and we sang many of the songs that were being played it was so fun.
You are so blessed to have your parents and for them teaching you so well the gospel of Jesus Christ. We all pray for you and we love you and your Mom and Dad so much. You are a good family hang on tight to each other and it will get you through. May the Lord bless all of you, may He send his peace and his comfort to you and may you feel His spirit wrap you in his arms so that you know that he is there with you.  Love Lanny Shea (Lisa Sowards Mom)"
Lanny thank you so much for taking the time to send me that message. I am not sure if I was even born yet when we lived on Broadway but I know there are amazing people, like you, from our past that bless us with the memories we have. You are so right....we truly are so blessed to have the parents we have had & for their teaching us the gospel & being the best examples of the way we should live our lives! I know this & I am thankful every day for them!
I promise, promise promise, I will get a more detailed obituary posted to this blog. & even though my Dad's life has ended I know the stories, pictures & his legacy has not ended. I would like to still share stories & pictures of his life....for if we talk about our loved ones who have passed on, we will never forget them.....& I don't ever want to forget this great man! So please check back often & if you think of any stories or words to share....please feel free to email

No comments:

Post a Comment